Home | Reports
Each year from 2017, Benefacts used all of the data on Irish nonprofits harvested from the previous year to prepare and publish free reports analysing the funding, governance and employment profile of the entire nonprofit sector.
For the first time in Ireland, this analysis was based on available full population data for registered nonprofits, rather than on limited and partial surveys.
To augment the sector reports, in 2019 Benefacts initiated a project to analyse and report on charitable and philanthropic giving in Ireland – read the project foundation paper. This was followed by reports on charitable and philanthropic giving in 2020 and 2021.
In 2021, Benefacts published a report flagging emergent issues for Irish charities arising from the Covid pandemic.
Funding for all of these reports was provided by Irish and international philanthropies.
Benefacts reports were launched at public events in which sector leaders, public servants, media and others participated actively.
- Download Philanthropic and charitable giving report 2021, view launch video
- Download Benefacts Nonprofit Sector Analysis 2021, view launch video
- Download Charities in Ireland report 2021, view launch video
- Download Philanthropy in Ireland report 2020, view launch video
- Download Charitable Giving in Ireland 2020, view launch video
- Download Benefacts Nonprofit Sector Analysis 2020, view launch video
- Download Benefacts Nonprofit Sector Analysis 2019
- Download Benefacts Nonprofit Sector Analysis 2018
- Download Benefacts Nonprofit Sector Analysis 2017
Reports for Government, nonprofits and others
Besides its public reports, Benefacts prepared at the request of various public, private and nonprofit bodies.
Between 2020 and 2022 alone, data and/or analysis reports were provided for the Housing Section of the Department of Housing, for the research unit of the Department of Children, Equality, Disability, Integration and Youth, for Tusla, for the Social Enterprise unit of the Department of Rural & Community Development, and the Public Pay and Pensions division of the Department of Public Expenditure & Reform.
In addition Benefacts provided 14 nonprofits with their own data in the form of a 5-year benchmark analyses, prepared sub-sectoral analysis reports for a number of sector lead bodies, and provided private philanthropies with data and analysis in support of due diligence and grant appraisal processes.